City halts demolition of Astor Cinema building

-directs safety measures be put in place

Safety hazard: The standing frame of the Astor Cinema, which is now considered a safety hazard to members of the public due to the stalled dismantling of the building.

The Mayor and City Council has instructed the new owners of the Astor Cinema building to halt demolition until they put safety measures in place to protect both workers and members of the public.

City Engineer Colvern Venture told Stabroek News that his office was forced to write the owners after permission was not sought for the demolition. He added that the new owners, who also own the Discount Store on Regent Street, subsequently applied to demolish the building and the application was approved. Venture said the application was fast-tracked, since just the structural frame is standing and it poses a risk to passersby.

Watch: The Demolition of Astor

However, he explained that his office has recommended that safety measures be put in place to protect workers and members of the public before demolition continues.

Stabroek News understands that the council had also instructed the owners to remove debris that was placed on the public road since it is a hazard to road users.

No work was being carried out at the site yesterday and loads of debris were awaiting removal.

It is unclear when the demolition would resume and efforts to contact the owners were unsuccessful.

In the last week of July, workers began to dismantle the building. The once popular Astor Cinema had been abandoned since its closure in April, 2013. It was the last city cinema to close its doors. The Globe, Empire, Metropole, Plaza and Strand cinemas, all in central Georgetown had long been out of commission along with the Star in Albouystown, and Hollywood and Liberty in the Kitty area.

 

 

Comments  

Hurricane Maria blasts Puerto Rico with high winds and flooding

People walk on the street next to debris after the area was hit by Hurricane Maria in Guayama, Puerto Rico September 20, 2017.

Protest at Victoria over state of roads

Residents of Victoria on the East Coast of Demerara this morning came out with placards protesting the deplorable state of their main access road and are calling on the Government to urgently intervene.

Victoria residents in roads protest

Some of the residents protesting this morning. Residents of Victoria on the East Coast of Demerara this morning came out with placards protesting the deplorable state of their main access road and are calling on the Government to urgently intervene.

At least seven reported dead in Dominica from hurricane hit

Dominica is reporting that at least seven persons were killed after Hurricane Maria ravaged the island on Tuesday.

Pakistan batsman Latif handed five-year fixing ban

LAHORE, (Reuters) – Batsman Khalid Latif has been handed a five-year ban for his role in a spot-fixing scandal during this year’s Pakistan Super League (PSL), the country’s cricket board said on Wednesday.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×