Practice game in doubt as CWI miffed by Bravo’s inclusion

Darren Bravo

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – West Indies’ practice game against a Trinidad and Tobago XI next Tuesday has been placed in doubt because of the involvement of exiled left-hander Darren Bravo.

The NewsDay here reported yesterday that Cricket West Indies were upset over the inclusion of Bravo in the T&T squad and have indicated to the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board that the 28-year-old should not be allowed to play because of his current impasse with the board.

However, the report said several of the senior T&T players were displeased by the development and planned to boycott the game if Bravo is barred from taking part.

Darren Bravo

TTCB chief executive, Suruj Ragoonath, confirmed CWI’s concerns about Bravo’s participation and about the use of the National Cricket Centre as the venue for the game, and said he was working to resolve both issues.

Darren Bravo … at the centre of controversy again.

“At this point in time, Darren Bravo is in our squad,” Ragoonath told the NewsDay.

“They (CWI) do [have concerns about that]. I’m working towards resolving that.

“But the bigger issue right now is the venue. The West Indies board has an issue with playing at the NCC. What exactly is the nature of it, I’m not sure.”

The NCC is reguarly used to by CWI to host matches in the regional first class championship and Regional Super50.

CWI remains miffed by Bravo’s refusal to apologise and remove a tweet in which he labelled president Dave Cameron as “a big idiot”, following a spat last year over the issuing of retainer contracts last November.

As a result, he has been barred from playing domestic and international cricket and has not played competitively since being sent home last November from South Africa ahead of the Tri-Nations Series in Zimbabwe.

In a recent interview, Cameron again insisted Bravo needed to remove the offending tweet from his Twitter account before a resolution could be had.

Bravo recently slapped CWI with a lawsuit over damages arising from loss of earnings.

Tuesday’s 50-over match was expected to provide match practice for the Windies side, currently gathered here for the five-match series against India starting here Friday with a doubleheader at Queen’s Park Oval.

West Indies stars like Lendl Simmons, Sunil Narine and Samuel Badree are expected to feature for the T&T XI in the game.

Comments  

Johnson upsets CM Ali, Varona-Thomas takes title

Sixteen-year-old Nellisha Johnson stunned Candidate Master (CM) Sheriffa Ali in the first round while Woman FIDE Master (WFM) Maria Varona-Thomas played undefeated to lift the title in the first ever Guyana Chess Federation (GCF) female national chess championships last weekend at the National Racquet Center, Woolford Avenue.

Dharry to fight Mojica May 18 in New York

Elton Dharry’s promotional team, Havoc Boxing is staying true to their word of making 2018 a busy year for the national bantamweight champion.

Quiet Storm storms into knockout round

Quiet Storm, Amelia’s Ward Russians and Assassa Ballers sealed their berth to the knockout round when the Guinness ‘Greatest of the Streets’ Linden Championship continued on Sunday.

Second leg of Triple Crown Series set for Sunday

Following the first leg on April 1, the Jumbo Jet Thoroughbred Racing Committee (JJTRC) will run off the second leg of its inaugural Triple Crown Series this Sunday at the Rising Sun Turf Club.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×