Van Persie set for Dutch World Cup recall

Fenerbahce’s Robin van Persie (Reuters / Andrew Boyers)

AMSTERDAM, (Reuters) – Robin van Persie is in line for a recall to the Netherlands national team after an absence of almost two years.

The Fenerbahce forward was named on Wednesday in a preliminary squad for two key World Cup qualifiers in the next fortnight.

Ryan Babel and Eljero Elia have also been recalled as coach Dick Advocaat named 32 players for the important qualifier against Group A leaders France in Paris on Aug. 31 and then at home to Bulgaria in Amsterdam on Sept. 3.

Fenerbahce’s Robin van Persie (Reuters / Andrew Boyers)

There is a first call-up for Ajax Amsterdam’s 20-year-old midfielder Donny van de Beek, who scored two in the early rounds of the Champions League over the last month.

The 34-year-old van Persie, whose 50 goals in 101 internationals makes him the the Netherlands’ top scorer, last played in a 3-2 loss to the Czech Republic in the European Championship qualifier in October 2015. He scored an own goal and was later dropped by Advocaat’s predecessor Danny Blind.

“I worked with him last season at Fenerbahce where he showed what he could do. Robin is a player we might still need but we’ll see in the next weeks how fit he is and if he is playing,” Advocaat said in a statement released by the Dutch football association.

“This is a preliminary squad so players can fall out or be included later.”

Besiktas striker Babel, 30, was last in the team in late 2011, while Elia, who also plays in Turkey, for Basaksehir, has not been in the team since 2012.

Advocaat was named in May to try and resurrect the Dutch’s hopes of qualifying for the next World Cup in Russia as they sit third in their group with 10 points from six games, three behind joint leaders France and Sweden.

Comments  

Ricardo Adams places Essequibo within reach of victory over G/Town

A savage unbeaten half-century from Ricardo Adams carried Essequibo to within reach of victory over Georgetown in the latest round Guyana Cricket Board/Jaguars three-day Franchise League competition at the Tuschen Sports Club Ground, East Bank Essequibo, yesterday.

By ,

Forde calls on stakeholders to put football first

Guyana Football Federation (GFF) President Wayne Forde said Friday that the International Football Federation had decided to halt funding to the GFF following an audit investigation.

Gayle fit for crucial third ODI says Holder

BRISTOL, England, CMC — West Indies will hope the return of Chris Gayle to their line-up will trigger the spark that leads to a series-levelling victory over England in the third One-day International today.

Cleaning up image is key says Harris

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC — Regional administrators have a huge challenge to restore respect and confidence from fans and stakeholders of the game inside and outside of the Caribbean.

Rawlins off to Australia after penning new Sussex deal

LONDON,  CMC — Bermudian cricketer Delray Rawlins is heading to Australia shortly to play club cricket and develop his game after signing a new deal that will keep him at England’s Sussex County Cricket Club at least until the end of 2019.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×