Handyman’s wife succumbs to injuries from West Ruimveldt fire

Dead: Jewel Coats

More than a month after she sustained burns about her body after she allegedly set her husband’s West Ruimveldt, Georgetown house on fire, resulting in his death, Jewel Coats yesterday afternoon succumbed to her injuries at a city hospital.

A police source confirmed to Stabroek News that Coats, 36, who had sustained burns to her face, back and arms, died around 12.50 pm yesterday in the Burn Care Unit of the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH).

During her hospitalisation, Coats suffered two heart attacks, the source said.

Christopher Bramble

The charred remains of 56-year-old handyman Christopher Bramble, called ‘Harry,’ of Lot 39 West Ruimveldt, were found in the aftermath of a fire, which had occurred in the early moments of September 10th.

Coats was rescued from the burning house by residents of the area.

The police, in a press release, had said initial investigations revealed that residents observed smoke and fire emanating from the couple’s small wooden house.

The police had said residents were forced to break a wall to remove Coats from the burning structure since the door was locked.

It was only after the fire was extinguished that the discovery of Bramble’s remains was made.

It was suspected that Bramble was stabbed before he perished in the fire.

However, an autopsy revealed that he died of smoke inhalation and due to the state of his remains, the pathologist was unable to determine if he sustained any other injuries.

Residents had previously told this newspaper that throughout the day before the fire, Bramble and Coats were heard arguing. During the argument, they alleged, Coats threatened to burn the house with Bramble inside. Around midnight, residents had said, she allegedly locked the house and the fire erupted shortly after.

After being rescued, Coats, whose clothing was covered in blood, reportedly told residents that she was home alone. She subsequently attempted to leave the scene but residents prevented her from doing so and handed her over to the police.

Coats’ remains are presently at the GPH mortuary awaiting an autopsy, which is scheduled for today.

Around the Web