– Tony Cozier says the WICB often seen to be promoting one scrap or another, now finds itself like legendary boxing promoter Don King, smack in the middle of a heavyweight clash between Digicel and the Stanford 20/20 organisation Unconsciously, but consistently and under whatever dispensation, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has become as adept at fight promotion as Don King.
Cycling enthusiasts in the National Park yesterday were beside themselves with joy when Walter Grant Stuart outsprinted a strong field boasting a few seasoned campaigners to capture the schoolboys and novices 35-lap event from Ossie Edwards in a driving finish in the National Sports Commission sponsored 11-race card.
The Guyana Football Referees Council will hold its annual general meeting (AGM) today at the Carifesta Sports Complex, Carifesta Avenue, Thomas Lands commencing at 10am.
Former World Boxing Association welterweight champion Andrew `Sixhead’ Lewis says he has been advised to rest for at least 10 days by his doctor.
There were wins for Ariel and Regal when the District of Columbia Metro Cultural Organisation (DCMO)-sponsored, limited overs softball competition continued last Sunday at two venues in the Capital City.
Over $2.5m will be up for grabs when the Norman Singh Memorial Turf Club (NSMTC) stages its grand one-day horse race meeting on October 19 at the Number Six Village, West Coast Berbice turf club.
Wolf Warriors destroyed Boom Blast by a massive 113 runs as the Guyana Softball League (GSL) organized Memorex Enterprise countrywide limited overs softball tournament continued at the Leonora ground last Sunday.
-Lumumba When former World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight champion Andrew ‘Six Head’ Lewis steps into the ring to engage Howard ‘Battersea Bomber’ Eastman next Saturday at the Guyana National Stadium, Pro-vidence, it will be the ‘Perfect Storm’, promoter Odinga Lumumba has promised.
-ITF to assist with equipment The Guyana Lawn Tennis Association (GLTA) in association with the International Tennis Federation (ITF) will from today start a series of workshops aimed at carrying the game into the school system.
Debutant Rajendra Chandrika stroked his way to an attractive half century as Demerara defeated Essequibo by 83 runs in the first round of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB)/El Dorado-sponsored Inter-county limited-overs competition at the Everest Cricket Club ground yesterday.
Embattled president of the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Colin Klass met and had a closed door meeting with vice-president of the Suriname Football Federation (SVB) Ronald Koorendijh over the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) order that the GFF must repay to the SVB expenses incurred during the SVB national team’s visit to Guyana in June.
The Guyana Amateur Boxing Association (GABA) has been forced to cancel the staging of the annual B.
With an increase in participation, tomorrow’s much-anticipated Roti Hut sponsored Stableford Golf tournament promises to be another intriguing affair at the Lusignan Golf Course.
-Committee to be formed to look at structure A meeting between representatives of the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport, the National Sports Commission and several national sports associations/federations has resulted in plans for the formation of a coordinating committee to overlook all matters pertaining to physical education and sport in schools.
No!!! We are not talking about 20/20 cricket, but rather the battle for supremacy in the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) /El Dorado sponsored 50 overs-a-side limited overs cricket competition which will bowl off today with defending champions Dem-erara taking on Essequibo at the Everest Cricket Club ground.
After another successful year where they completely dominated the Junior Caribbean Championships by winning three individual titles as well as the Boys, Girls and Overall Team titles, the Guyana Squash Racquets Association (GSRA) has selected the national junior squash team which will once again match their skills against the best of the Pan American region.
Banks DIH tapeball cricket team will do battle with Correia Group of Companies All Stars team as the Friday Evening Floodlights 20-overs-a-side tapeball cricket series continue this evening at the Thirst Park ground.
Pay Suriname FA US$8000 The International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) the world governing body for football has ordered the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) to repay their neighbours the Suriname Football Association (SFA) the sum of US$8,000 (G$1.6m) for expenses incurred during the return fixture of their 2010 World Cup qualifying tournament in June.
Demerara coach echoes captain’s sentiments Demerara senior inter-county coach Rabindranauth Seeram yesterday echoed the sentiments of captain Leon Johnson when asked about his expectations of the team in the upcoming Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) El Dorado-sponsored 50-overs-a-side competition.
– Over $250,000 up for grabs in three-stage Macedo Memorial race Cyclists will pedalling away with fury this week-end when the National Sports Commis-sion (NSC) through national cycling coach Hassan Mohammed holds its cycling programme around the inner circuit of the National Park Saturday morning.
– Fitzgerald teams up with Semple to take ‘Blind Draw’ doubles Norman Madhoo warmed up for the upcoming Guyana Open and Bryden’s sponsored South American and Caribbean Championships by winning the Clive Harrison-sponsored Open Singles title last Friday at the Salt Air Sports Club, Le Meridien Pegasus.
– Nine-time champs Covent Garden Secondary aiming for 10th title Some 16 teams have confirmed their participation in the Christmas Term indoor day/night male inter-school Windball cricket tournament with the first game getting underway this afternoon at the National Gymnasium.
When 2008 Junior Gold Cup gold medalist 17 year old Enzo Matthews takes to the road to compete in the Victor Macedo Three stage memorial race this weekend, he will doing so with a new cycle, thanks to the combined efforts of the Guyana Cycling Federation (GCF) and veteran cyclists Wilbert Benjamin and Joseph Faria.
Richards strikes double for Camptown Sunburst Camptown made its way into the semi-final round of the Georgetown Football Association’s (GFA) DeSinco Trading Under-18 football Tournament yesterday at the Camptown ground with a victory over Beacon United.
– Final to be played under floodlights at Providence Stadium The highly-anticipated El Dorado limited-overs Inter-County round-robin competition got off the ground yesterday at a launch held in the boardroom of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB), Regent Street.