Sparta man loses home to unattended garbage fire

A senior citizen is now counting his losses after his home at Sparta, Essequibo Coast was destroyed by a fire that started around 5.30 pm yesterday.

The home of Sydney Blackman was destroyed after he lit a fire to burn garbage at the back of his house and then fell asleep. The fire grew out of control and quickly spread to the house, Stabroek News was told.

Blackman only awakened after his neighbours raised an alarm.

Firefighters at the Anna Regina Fire Station were summoned by neighbours and they were able to contain the fire before it reached the other houses nearby. The man, who lived alone, said his losses amounted to an estimated $500,000. Everything he owned was destroyed, he said.

More in Local News

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Kelly Datt

    Bandits shoot dead one of their own during Edinburgh robbery

  2. Sueanna Walcott

    Mahaicony crash claims second victim

  3. Area where Akeem Grimmond’s body was found

    Boy, 14, found murdered in burial ground

  4. Nazim Jabhar and Angela Jabhar

    Woman critical, niece, 3, injured in Albion hit and run

  5. Alvin Reid

    ‘Satan’ charged with murdering Two Sisters girl

  6. Reagus Lamazon

    Teen charged over Laing Avenue taxi driver’s murder

  7. Jermain Holder

    11-year-old electrocuted

  8. Haroon Eshack

    Taxi driver charged with killing UK-based woman in Chelsea crash


Recommended For You