AFC to file police complaint against Ashni Singh ‘illegal’ spending today

AFC leader Khemraj Ramjattan says that the party will today file a police complaint against Minister of Finance Dr. Ashni Singh’s “illegal” spending of $4.5 billion.

“When I had indicated a formal complaint, I had simply intended to do just that. However, I was informed by various sources in the police that not being in a position to understand this kind of offence, they wanted me to outline in a brief how it is that the honourable Minister of Finance would have violated the section of the Fiscal Management and Accountability Act,” Ramjattan told Stabroek News yesterday. He added that the complaint would be lodged today.

The opposition has faced criticism for not taking actions they said they would and in relation to the complaint, Ramjattan stated that it needed to be reworked to satisfy the requirements of the police. He said that as a result, he chose to outline and explain the legal jargon in simpler terms expanding on how the spending of the $4.5 billion goes against Section 218 of the Constitution.

Government has spent more than $4.5 billion of the $37.4 billion cut from this year’s $220 billion national budget and Singh on June 19, tabled Financial Paper 1 of 2014 seeking the approval of the House for the extra-budgetary spending. However, this quickly attracted the ire of the main opposition APNU as well as the AFC who have labelled it illegal.

Ramjattan yesterday said that the minister’s citing of Section 218 (3) of the Constitution to cover the spending of the money is not applicable because the money spent was never approved in the first place so a statement of excess could not be laid before the National Assembly.

He said that compiling the complaint took time due to the work that had to be done. The AFC first announced their intention to do so in late June. “For me to explain his spending and how it goes against the Constitution and put it down in simpler language has taken some time and further analysis,” Ramjattan said. He noted that since July 6, the party has been reworking its brief.

The AFC leader said that the resources of the opposition parties are severely limited and noted that parliamentarians are not full time. “It is just one and two of us doing all this work…a parliamentarian’s life is a pretty lonely one, you have no support staff and that makes things more difficult. Even when you seek technical assistance from the parliamentary staff, they themselves are totally unaware and not au fait to some of these issues so we have to go back and do our own research,” he lamented.

Ramjattan asserted that he is not going to bring a complaint that is not comprehensive and accurate. He said that any pronouncement that the AFC is not doing “the people work is grossly inaccurate.” The lack of technical assistance can be a constraint, he stressed while adding that he is aware of the various criticisms and realistically, the AFC is doing what it could with the resources it has.

The AFC leader stated that he is aware of the criticism from former APNU Member of Parliament Jaipaul Sharma, who had said that the opposition parties lack discipline to follow through on their promises. Ramjattan told Stabroek News that as a former MP, Sharma is well aware of the constraints under which parliamentarians work considering that many are lawyers and accountants who are charged with operating their own practices.

Previously, when asked by Stabroek News just how likely the prosecution of the finance minister would be, Ramjattan said: “we must not for the want of thinking it will not happen not do it, otherwise it will be self-defeating and that is why I am preparing a brief for the police and the DPP.”

Critics have pointed out that without the opposition playing their hand, the government could delay indefinitely bringing the financial paper to the National Assembly. Further, the money has already been withdrawn from the Consolidated Fund and utilized by the government so the ball is now effectively in the opposition’s court.

Ramjattan had stated that the government was attempting to “bait” the opposition parties and that what was needed was calm and comprehensive decision making prior to any no-confidence motion. He had suggested that they could take the matter to the DPP and, the courts, then move for a no-confidence vote against the government.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Lightning suspected in power outage -GPL

At approximately 20:56 hours last evening, the Guyana Power and Light says a line trip along two Kingston feeders (F3 and F4) resulted in an interruption in the supply of electricity to customers in Kingston, Cummingsburg, Albertown, Lacytown and Werk-en-Rust.

Bharrat Jagdeo

Jagdeo stands by NY statements

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo last night stood by statements he had made in New York about discrimination against Indo-Guyanese which the APNU+AFC government has described as race-baiting.

City Hall

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo addressing the audience 
 

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Commander of ‘B’ Division Ian Amsterdam (second, right) meeting with Pawan Chandradeo’s wife and children

City detectives to assist in Berbice triple murder probe

The police are continuing to work all angles and a number of theories in order to solve last week’s triple murder at Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum said yesterday that a team from the force’s Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was expected to head to the area to lend assistance in the investigation.

default placeholder

Appointment of new foreign envoys based on merit, not patronage – Granger

The appointment of new foreign mission heads was based on merit and was not a form of reward, President David Granger said last evening even as he called on them to put the border controversy with Venezuela on the front burner.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: