Man beaten in rum shop may be taken off life support

Three men remain in police custody following the chopping and beating of a Better Hope, East Coast Demerara man, who doctors have since said will likely not survive.

A relative of Robin Dundun, the injured man, told Stabroek News yesterday that the doctors are contemplating taking the man off the life support machine. He is presently a patient in the Intensive Care Unit of the Georgetown Hospital.

The owner of the shop where he was beaten and two others who were allegedly involved in the attack are in custody. This newspaper was told that they were all arrested when they went to the police station to make a report against the injured man shortly after the incident.

While relatives of Robin Dundun have stated that he was attacked following an argument, relatives of the shop owner have since said that it was Dundun who went into the shop with a cutlass and attacked persons.

They are also alleging that Dundun is a known troublemaker in the area and has had several run-ins with the police.

Relatives of the shop owner are also saying that the injured man never went into that shop to drink before and it is clear that he had ulterior motives.

However, Stabroek News was told by persons close to Dundun that at the time he was not intoxicated and they believed that his attackers were. They said that Dundun was repeatedly beaten with pool balls that were secured in cloth and a big brick was thrown at him.

One of the injured man’s closest friends had also told this newspaper that he is concerned about that particular area because of the illegal activities that go on there. He said that there is gambling and other activities at the spot but nothing is being done about it. However the relatives of the shop owner have strenuously denied these allegations.

It was reported that around 3:30 pm last Wednesday Dundun was in a rum shop when he had an argument with other persons there. During the argument he was chopped about the body with a cutlass and beaten. He was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital in an unconscious state and bleeding profusely from his wounds.

Around the Web