Three weeks after…police still to take statement from North Ruimveldt robbery victims

Nearly three weeks after bandits invaded their Festival City, North Ruimveldt home carting off a laptop computer and jewellery, George Grimes say the police are yet to take a statement from him.

“I want to point out that to date the police have not yet taken a statement from me. When you speak to the media now and highlight this it’s another story and they will want to say you are bad talking them,” Grimes yesterday told this newspaper.  He informed that on the night of the shooting police had visited the hospital and had promised to return to take a statement from him and his daughter-in-law but that had not yet happened.  Several efforts to contact Police Public Relations Officer, Ivelaw Whittaker yesterday for comment proved futile.  Grimes and his daughter-in-law, 31-year-old Canadian Ruth Rodney- Grimes, were shot when three armed bandits invaded their Lot 1853 Nutmeg Street home carting off a laptop computer and jewellery.  Rodney-Grimes’s husband, Kevin Grimes,  suffered a  laceration to his head ,from being gun-butted, while her mother in-law Enid Grimes sustained a swollen nose, the result of being elbowed by a robber during the attack .

A friend of the younger Grimes, Dexter Fergus, who was with him on the patio at the time escaped when the bullets were being fired and suffered only minor  injuries.
George informed that his daughter-in-law has since returned to Canada and is doing well. He said that doctors there had told her that she received “great treatment” at the GPHC and that she would be okay.  The two bullets that entered his  shoulder and leg, were still lodged in him and when he returns for a check up on Wednesday he will know if they will be removed.

Doctors had told him that they did not want to remove the bullets for fear that they may damage some tissue.

His wife Enid Grimes  had told Stabroek News that she believed that the robbery was planned as earlier in the week she had seen a man sitting on a nearby culvert seemingly scouting out the area. Grimes said while she could not remember a face she had a strange feeling about the way the man was watching the area. Another relative had told this newspaper that they believe that the home may have been targeted given that persons knew that Rodney-Grimes had arrived from Canada two weeks earlier.

Around the Web