Cops detain man, impound car in probe of GGMC engineer’s murder

A man is in police custody assisting with investigations into the murder of Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) engineer Trevor Abrams and investigators are hoping that an impounded car which it is suspected was used by killers could yield some clues.

A senior police official yesterday confirmed that over the weekend police impounded the suspected getaway car. He said the impounded vehicle is of a similar make and has a similar licence plate number to the one that the gunmen used to ambush Abrams.

The official, however, noted that too much information could not be released to the press as this may jeopardise the ongoing investigation. According to the official, the police are still trying to enhance camera footage and if successful could help to identify the vehicle and reveal the identities of the two gunmen.

Trevor Abrams
Trevor Abrams

Based on an eyewitness account, the gunmen launched their attack in the vicinity of DDL. A silver grey car was spotted speeding behind Abrams before it drove up alongside him and tried “to brace him to the corner.” This apparently forced Abrams to slow down and he eventually came to a stop.

According to the witness, it would appear that when Abrams spotted the hoodie-clad men holding guns, he immediately drove off.

The gunmen got back into their vehicle and while in hot pursuit began shooting at the fleeing Abrams, who eventually uprooted a lantern post and veered into the canal alongside the Little Diamond Public Road. He was pronounced dead on arrival at the nearby Diamond Diagnostic Centre a short while after he was pulled from his partly submerged vehicle by public-spirited citizens.

At least nine spent shells were recovered from the scene by the police and it was said that Abrams sustained five gunshot wounds, including two to the back.

While investigators are still looking for a motive, persons close to Abrams suspected that the ‘hit’ had something to do with his job, which included the identification of areas where precious metals are located.

There is suspicion that Abrams, who had been a mining engineer with the commission since 2012, may have written something unfavourable in his most recent report from his work in Region One.

His parents, Bridgette and Leslie Adams, have concluded that his death was either a case of mistaken identity or he was a victim of a robbery. Of the latter prospect, they said he may have been targeted for either his car or the $600,000 cheque he was supposed to cash.

It is suspected that Adams might have stopped at one of the banks at Diamond to change the cheque, which was to be used to buy his supplies for a planned trip to the interior for a work related assignment but for some reason decided against it. The GGMC confirmed to his parents that the cheque had not been cashed. The parents say their son’s bag, which contained the cheque and other documents, is missing.

They made it clear that their son had no enemies and acted professionally in the performance of his duties.

His funeral is set for Sunday.

Around the Web