Trans Guyana gets green light for shuttle takeoff

The Guyana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) yesterday  lifted the suspension on shuttling operations for Trans Guyana Airways (TGA).

The GCAA suspended shuttle flights on August 30 in the aftermath of three crashes in which two pilots were killed. The suspension of the shuttle flights has affected interior communities and the mining industry.

A statement from the GCAA yesterday said that  TGA had successfully completed the five-phase process used by the GCAA which entails 1) Pre-application phase, 2) Application phase, 3) Document evaluation, 4) Demonstration and Inspection and 5) Certification.

On September 2, 2017, GCAA said that a Flight Operations Inspector from the GCAA worked all day aboard a Trans Guyana Airways flight conducting demonstration inspections to ensure documented procedures were observed by the operator. Inspections were carried out on flight operations into the Olive Creek, Blake Slater and Kamarang aerodromes.

The Authority says it continues to work with the other domestic operators to have their shuttle operations approved so that they can resume shuttling operations. The National Air Transport Association (NATA) which groups the other operators has submitted its manual. Changes had to be made in some areas.

In addition to approving manuals for shuttling operations, the Authority says it is also considering other measures to enhance safety for flight operations within the hinterland.

The GCAA reiterated that the actions taken were necessary to enhance safety of the travelling public and aviation personnel.

The Authority said it will continue its increased surveillance of Air Operators.

On July 25th, 39-year-old Collin Winston Martin, the chief medical evacuation pilot for Roraima Airlines died after his plane crashed while approaching the Eteringbang airstrip in Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni).

In addition, on August 8th a single engine Cessna aircraft – bearing registration number 8R-GPR, crashed shortly after takeoff at the Eteringbang airstrip in Region 7. The pilot suffered minor injuries.

On August 27, an Air Services Limited pilot died after the plane he was flying crashed into the jungle between Chi-Chi and Mahdia (Potaro-Siparuni). Captain Imran Khan, 41, was found by a search and rescue team which ventured into the area.

Around the Web