Police constables, ex-partner still in custody over death of school teacher

Kescia Branche

Two police constables and the ex-partner of Kescia Branche remain in custody following an attack which left her mortally wounded along Cemetery Road.

Branche, a teacher, was found last week Sunday unconscious along  Cemetery Road, George-town and succumbed to her injuries two days later.

Commander of `A’ Division, Marlon Chapman, last night explained that the other civilian who was taken into custody on Friday afternoon, was released on station bail and investigators are searching for another man, whose car is currently impounded.

He added that investigators applied for an additional 72 hours to further detain the two constables who had picked up Branche while they were on duty from the Blue Martini nightclub on Upper Lamaha Street in Newtown and taken her to a barbeque spot on Mandela Avenue.

Asked if a timeline of events was established, the commander replied in the negative, stating from their preliminary investigations several stops were made during Saturday night into Sunday morning.

A post-mortem examination conducted by Government Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh revealed that Branche had died as a result of brain haemorrhaging and blunt trauma to the brain.

Branche, 22, a mother of one and a teacher at Richard Ishmael Secondary School, was found next to a coconut tree, obliquely opposite the cemetery office, sometime around 5 on Sunday morning.

She succumbed to her injuries on Tuesday afternoon in the Intensive Care Unit of the Georgetown Public Hospital.

She had sustained head injuries and a broken foot. The doctor who treated her told her family that the head injuries appeared to be consistent with blows to the head.

Branche was seen leaving the Blue Martini nightclub on Upper Lamaha Street in Newtown, last Saturday night in the company of two on-duty constables. After leaving the nightclub, the trio had ventured to a barbeque spot on Mandela Avenue.

While waiting on their order, one of the constables reportedly told investigators that he left to use the washroom at his home and when he returned he did not see Branche. When he asked his colleague, who had remained with her, about her whereabouts, he was told that she had left with a taxi.

Branche’s ex-partner was taken into custody on Thursday afternoon. He reportedly had Branche’s cell phone in his possession.

Meanwhile, her father Alfred Branche last night said that the family is looking to hold the funeral for Kescia next Saturday. He added that social activist Mark Benschop has been in contact with him and they have agreed to set up a GoFundMe account to assist with the funeral expenses, including the wake.

Around the Web