Batting coach Radford hails start of new era

PREPARING FOR BATTLE: Young uncapped opener Shimron Hetmyer readies himself for a net session in the build-up to the opening Test. (Photo courtesy WICB Media)

KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – Batting coach Toby Radford expects the influx of young players in the West Indies squad to compensate for the loss of experienced players like Marlon Samuels and Darren Bravo, in the three-Test series against Pakistan starting here today.

Both Samuels and Bravo, with 120 Tests between them, were both ignored by selectors in the 13-man squad announced earlier this week for the opening Test at Sabina Park, with the uncapped Guyanese pair of Vishal Singh and Shimron Hetmyer preferred instead.

And along with rookies like Roston Chase and Shai Hope – neither of whom have played 10 Tests – Radford believes West Indies could be seeing the emergence of a new era of batsmen.

PREPARING FOR BATTLE: Young uncapped opener Shimron Hetmyer readies himself for a net session in the build-up to the opening Test. (Photo courtesy WICB Media)

“Marlon’s been a great servant to West Indies cricket and has played some wonderful innings over the years so we do lose a bit of experience there but I’d like to think this is a dynamic group of young players with lots of talent and probably the start of a new age in West Indies  cricket,” Radford said here.

“I’d like these boys to come in and play the way they play, not fear anything and play the way they would in any other team and not feel the occasion. Just come out, do what they do and show everyone the talent that they’ve got.”

Vishal, 28, is an obdurate left-hander who has been rewarded for his heavy scoring in last year’s first class championship and relative success with West Indies A.

He also struck an unbeaten 135 for the WICB President’s XI in last weekend’s three-day tour match against the Pakistanis.

The 20-year-old Hetmyer, meanwhile, has been fast-tracked into the Test side, following a first class season where he gathered nearly 500 runs. His 97 in the recent tour match also helped his cause.

Radford said he liked the sensible yet no-nonsense approach brought by former Youth World Cup captain Hetmyer.

“The first time I saw him was up at Trelawny this week and it was a fantastic innings. He deserved a hundred,” the Englishman noted.

“He ended up two or three runs short but it was a superb knock. He looks very organised. [He’s a] powerful batsman but correct, strikes the ball very cleanly but he’s not a hitter – he’s a proper batsman.

“If balls were there to defend, he defended them but the minute the bowler was loose it (ball) went a long way.”

Radford said both players seemed ready to handle Test quality bowling.

“I was really impressed by the way [Hetmyer] and Vishal Singh played. They were very matured innings and [both players] looked equipped to play the bowling of that calibre.”

Comments  

Tennis superstar Vickery wants to play for Guyana

Fresh from her victory over Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland (world- ranked number 35) whom she thrashed 6-2, 6-2 in the quarter-finals of this year’s ASB Classic, American world-ranked tennis player Sachia Vickery accompanied by her mother Paula Liverpool and her brother Dominique Mitchell, yesterday paid a courtesy call to Minister of Social Cohesion who is also the Minister Responsible for Sport, Dr.

Minister Norton reiterates gov’t support for sport

Minister with Responsibility for Sport Dr. George Norton yesterday reiterated his support for boxing and sport in general during a courtesy call by the top brass of the Guyana Boxing Board of Control (GBBC) and some of the combatants on the ‘Bad Blood’ card scheduled for Saturday at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall (CASH).

GFF Marketing Director resigns

The year 2018 has started badly for the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) as its Marketing Director, Dario McKinnon, has reportedly tendered his resignation.

Windies exit World Cup but court controversy in defeat

MOUNT MAUNGANUI, New Zealand, CMC – West Indies Under-19s’ title defence ended in shambles with a heavy 76-run defeat to South Africa Under-19s, but controvery accompanied their disappointing exit from the International Cricket Council (ICC) Youth World Cup here yesterday.

Beaton remains buoyant amidst scrutiny of bowling action

West Indies fast bowler Ronsford Beaton says he remains reassured even though there are suspicions about the legality of his bowling action an issue which poses a threat to his fledging career.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×