PG, ‘F’ Division storm to Inter-Division final

Lennox Andrews continued a consistent run with the bat, hitting his fourth half-century and seeing ‘F’ Division into the final.

Defending champions, President Guard (PG) romped to their fourth consecutive final with a nine-wicket win over ‘D’ Division while ‘F’ Division escaped with a three-wicket win over ‘A’ Division yesterday to book their spots in the final of the Police Commissioner’s Inter-Division T20 tournament.

In the first contest of the day at Eve Leary, PG won the toss and invited ‘D’ Division to bat where they posted a paltry 108 in 19.3 overs before the defending champions reached 109-1 in 15.4 overs in reply.

‘D’ Division found themselves in tatters after stumbling to 55-8 in the 11th over as Kareem Naughton rocked the top order to return 3-6 from his four overs.

However, a ninth wicket partnership of 53 between Shemar Holder (22) and David Huge (22 not out) propelled the side over the 100-run mark.

In the chase, a 91-run opening stand between skipper, Keston Harcourt and Tyndall ensured smooth sailing for PG.

Harcourt raced to an unbeaten 49 consisting of seven boundaries while Tyndall supported with 38 before being caught at long on.

Meanwhile, in the other semi-final in the afternoon, the contest was evenly poised as ‘A’ Division blasted 84 from the last 10 overs to see them posting 148 in their full quota.

‘F’ Division in reply reached 151-7 with five balls to spare.

Kyle Michael was the architect of the fight back by ‘A’ Division with a responsible 52, comprising of three sixes and four fours.

Leon Crawford destroyed the lower order to return 5-12 including three wickets in the final over.

In the chase, Kevin Leitch removed both Crawford and Michael Jobe cheaply and they were 57-2 at the half way stage but with three simple catches going down, ‘A’ Division felt the brunt of it.

But Lennox Andrews and Quintin Sampson shifted gear during their 68-run fourth wicket partnership in the 13th over to turn the tide in their side’s favour.

Andrews twice deposited deliveries from Heyliger over the Pavilion in an 18-run over during his top score of 54, his fourth half-century of the tournament, that also included five boundaries.

At the other end, Simpson was equally as destructive, hitting four sixes and one four which saw him smashing deliveries from Leitch for three consecutive sixes that were sent crashing on the roof top of the pavilion in a 22-run over before he edged Deon Crandon to the wicket-keeper and walked for 35.

However, with Heyliger pulling out a wicket-maiden in the 18th over, Benn placed ‘F’ Division within one run of the final with a six and a four off of the penultimate over.

‘F’ Division will now play against the defending champions on Saturday for the title.

Around the Web