Pupil stomped in fracas at Stella Maris primary

Even as the Ministry of the Education managed to resolve a stabbing incident at a city school there was second one yesterday and a fracas at a primary school that saw a child rushed to hospital.

According to reports, a male pupil of the Stella Maris Primary School was yesterday rushed for medical attention after being injured during an altercation with another pupil at the school.

Stabroek News understands that the incident occurred in the school compound some time before 9 am and involved two Grade Five students. Details of what transpired, however, remain sketchy.

Following the incident, one of the boys involved in the fight, said that the whole issue was sparked when the injured boy initially hit his male cousin. The ten-year-old boy said that when he confronted the boy about hitting his relative, the boy turned on him and started to hit him before proceeding to choke him.

He said while he was being choked, another boy approached and hit his attacker in the head, which resulted in him receiving injuries to his head.

Apparently, the boy who was hit on the head then fell to the ground and was stomped in the back a few times. He then could not move, this newspaper was informed.

Stabroek News understands that when the boy was picked up by teachers and other adults in the compound, he was crying out in pain and was unable to walk. The boy was subsequently rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) via an ambulance but was later taken to a private hospital in the city.

Meanwhile, reports reaching this newspaper indicate that the matter had engaged the attention of Chief Schools Welfare Officer Banmattie Ram and that a team of welfare officers had gone to the school yesterday to investigate the matter.

Ram, when reached for comment, said that her officers were investigating the incident and promised to provide details on the matter later on. Subsequent efforts to contact her proved unsuccessful.

Up to press time last evening, this newspaper was unable to ascertain the condition of the boy, but reports reaching this newspaper indicated that he was still hospitalized.

Around the Web