Driver in Sheriff St accident death turns self in

The driver who was involved in last week’s fatal crash which claimed the life of 17-year-old Travis Bollers, yesterday turned himself into police in the company of a lawyer, Traffic Chief Superintendent Dion Moore confirmed.

The development comes one day after ranks using video footage captured by government- installed CCTV cameras managed to track down the pick-up vehicle that hit and killed the biker and left his cousin Quacy Mc Calman nursing injuries.

Speaking yesterday from his office at Traffic Headquarters, Eve Leary, Moore said “Ranks with the use of our surveillance cameras managed to spot the vehicle that was allegedly involved in the accident. So here again the cameras are working and those who try to breach the cameras we will catch you even though it may take some amount of time. We have the patience and we are not letting go”, he said.

Travis Bollers
Travis Bollers

He reiterated that the traffic ranks are here to ensure that the roads are safe and everything will be done to ensure this happens.

Last Thursday, Bollers and McCalman, 22, of Werk-en-Rust, were riding on a CG motorcycle along Pike Street, Campbellville, around 11.30 pm heading towards Sheriff Street when they collided with a Toyota Tacoma that turned into the street.

Bollers, who was riding the bike, and McCalman, who was the pillion rider, were subsequently rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where the teen was pronounced dead on arrival. McCalman was admitted to the hospital. Reports are that after the collision, the driver exited the vehicle looked at the two injured young men before reentering his vehicle and driving off.

McCalman, who was present at a demonstration held on Monday at the Square of the Revolution to garner support to find the driver, suggested that Bollers’ life could have been saved if he was taken to the hospital sooner.

He explained that his cousin’s body was left on the road for at least 30 minutes before a woman in a passing vehicle stopped to render assistance.

The man related that during the 30 minutes, he solicited assistance from both a nearby taxi base as well as a passing police patrol vehicle. However, his attempts were futile as both parties ignored his plea.

Furthermore, McCalman stated that because he was caught up in trying to secure a vehicle to transport his cousin, he was not paying attention to the pick-up’s driver.

“I feel if we been get assistance before, he life coulda have saved. Yeah, ’cause is nuff blood he lose pon the road deh,” the young man said.

The pick up vehicle was found at a residence in the North Sophia area and is now in custody at the Kitty Police Station.

Around the Web